PMF 2024 audition repertoire will be announced in November.
PMF 2023 Orchestra Academy Auditions
All audition candidates are responsible for obtaining audition repertoire from standard excerpt books, purchasable music, or orchestral scores.
Notes on the descriptions:
Orchestral excerpts are for 1st parts unless otherwise noted.
"rhl" refers to a rehearsal number or letter, "mm" to specific measure numbers.
Notes on auxiliary instruments:
Piccolo excerpts are required for flute auditions. For oboe and clarinet auditions, although not required, it is highly advisable to perform the excerpts for auxiliary instruments (English horn, E-flat clarinet, and bass clarinet). During the festival, auxiliary parts, including also those for contrabassoon, etc., are rotated as much as possible.
Notes on preparations of recording materials:
- State your name at the beginning of the video recording, clearly and slowly. (This is used to write the names of successful applicants in phonetic Japanese, in programs, etc., so clear pronunciation is important.)
- Repertoire must be recorded in the listed order, with no piano accompaniment.
- Audio-only recordings will not be accepted.
- Video(s) must be recorded in one time-sequence, with no interruptions or cuts between the excerpts.
- Please upload either 1) one file with a single performance of the solo piece(s) and orchestral excerpts, or 2) two files - one with the solo piece(s) and one with the excerpts.
- If necessary due to space limitations, percussion applicants may make one cut after the timpani excerpts and submit 2 files.
- Aside from a single cut between the concerto video and excerpt video (if desired), videos should not be edited in any way.
- The total length of the audition video(s) must be less than 20 minutes, including performances with auxiliary instruments.
- The video must have been recorded in or after November, 2022.
- File-types supported: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, MKV, M2V
- Any video quality is acceptable. Be aware that very large files can take significant amounts of time to upload.
- Videos uploaded directly into your application are strongly preferred. If attempts to upload fail, after trying multiple devices and internet connections, we will accept YouTube videos instead. For your privacy, make sure videos are set to "Unlisted."